-
March 9th, 2001, 06:26 PM
#1
HB Forum Moderator
Doomsday is approaching...the day when these boards and it's entire content get transferred to a new owner. (April 1..how appropriate..in the U.S., that day is known as April Fools Day)
The simplest solution is take the hardware...box it up...drive it over to the new owner...and install it as a separate system.
The clever way is to simply transfer the files. But is it really that simple?
-Alex
-
March 9th, 2001, 09:57 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Alex,
Is it true that, essentially, you're a pessimist?
/Pat
-
March 10th, 2001, 06:23 PM
#3
HB Forum Moderator
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pcg:
Alex,
Is it true that, essentially, you're a pessimist?
/Pat<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well...perhaps I'm a reversimist.
I see things in reverse.
I see the bad result...then work my way back to a decent premise that avoids the potential problem.
Ironically, you could have answered my post a myriad of ways....but you chose a rather pessimistic response (by the way, I bet the Kodak rep is cute).
Here are some multiple choice answers that would have contributed to the topic.
A. It's better they take the bull by the horns and do the transfer via phone-lines because then they will be up to speed on how eveything works.
Of course, the boards could be down while this happens.
B. Ah, an organic solution to an machine driven problem...you have the two servers near each other so as you try to transfer data...you an actually listen to the two systems interacting and can instantly see what is going on.
C. I'm not worried, the worst that can happen is we start over with a new forum.
the three examples I have given would have fostered discussion on this issue.
Is it our business whether the boards transfer smoothly the first week of April???
...if you post regularly and value this board in any way...and if you value the growing numbers of Super-8 filmmakers who can finally link via the internet....the answer is yes...it is our business....
When I offered to pay a yearly fee, and when I said those that post the most would probably be willing to pay a dues fee....was I being a pessimist..........or a realist trying to safeguard the value of this forum by showing committment to it, to prevent the arbitrary "see ya, gone out of business" that has become commonplace in the internet community.
You may be confusing realist with pessimist.
-Alex
-
March 10th, 2001, 09:15 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Alex,
Sorry. You took my comment seriously, & it was meant to be humorous. My sincere apologies. 'Seems necessary in life to eat a certain amount of crow & I'm eating.
I'll use smiley faces the next time I try deadpan humor!
/Pat
-
March 10th, 2001, 10:33 PM
#5
HB Forum Moderator
As Homer Simpson would say....DOH!
If I seem a little sensitive it's mainly because I am...oh wait....it's mainly because we're are talking about the survival of this forum...... it would be better to kid after the changeover and survival of the boards has occurred.
Anyone not knowing what we are talking about can click on the tiny little sentence that says "Hostboard - The dream continues" located above all the threads.
If you click on that, you get an update on the status of this board...it's worth a look.
-Alex
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks